Sunday, February 8, 2009

DOORS



Doors; as common in our lives as… Doors; there’s a bunch of em in our lives. Those of you who live in cities and towns encounter doors on a very regular basis. If you want to shop, push through a door; Eat, another door; haircut, another door. There are doors that only let you in, doors that only let you out, and doors that let you in or out.

Ever seen someone (or been someone) who walked up to a business, confidently reached for the door and pulled only to have the door jerk back? Ok then, push, and as before the door pushes back. Next we look to see if this is the right door and if the business is open or closed. Its really pretty amusing to watch the antics of this little routine.

When we walk up to a door we usually expect to be allowed its use, else we wouldn’t have approached it. Doors are most often used to allow one entrance or egress. Sometimes we enter a door into a place we didn’t expect to go. We might enter a restaurant that looks respectable enough on the outside, but lets say the waitresses have a little less skirt than modesty requires. You would want to know that the out door is working fine and that you would not have to continue in this environment any longer than is necessary.

I live in the country surrounded by woods and there are a lot of doors here that I can walk into and out of. In my thoughts I can walk in and out of doors at will. I have actually walked in doors while on a walk praying that needed an out door immediately. The Bible says that every man (or woman) is tempted in the same way, but that with every temptation God provides a way of escape. (a door… an egress).

There is no doubt in my mind about this truth. When a temptation… when every temptation I have ever had since I knew good and evil has at first entered my mind … I knew the door was there and I knew where it was. I want to tell you the truth… IF I WANTED TO ENTERTAIN THE TEMPTATION EVEN UNTO SIN WHICH BRINGS DEATH, I HAVE CLOSED MY EYES TO THE DOOR… THE WAY OF ESCAPE, AND ENDULGED MY FLESH UNTO DEATH.

I thank God that His free gift is eternal life, because I had stacked up a 401k with the wages of sin.

There IS a way of escape. It is not known of the world, nor do they care for it, but to those who are exercised in righteousness it is quit visible, very available, and enormously effective.

Ro 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Be sure to check before you enter a door… Should you find yourself hiding in the dark instead of the rock… make sure your out before closing time….

3 comments:

Lacey said...

We have been talking at church about how when Christ died on the cross he dis-armed Satan. He has no arms, except the reach that I give him into my life. He has no power over me, except what I hand to him. SO, God gives me a way out, and Satan has no power over me. Those thoughts together leave me with no way to blame my sin on anyone else. I guess I always thought I could blame it on Satan's strength over me. Very... humbling, and exciting

Jason The Bald Guy said...

Wow! thanks... a great exhortation!

Gotta keep an eye open for the out door!

Autumn said...

Yeah, me too.
Especially with dieting.
That door seems so amll....just before it disappears- I usually just decide that it was a mirage...:)
Shame on me!!!!