Sunday, March 29, 2009

DOT DOT DOT - or- I DON'T PRAY THE ROSARY



Sometimes when I talk to God, I go beyond a request for some person, family or event. I begin to think into the pain or grief, possibly the joy, maybe the road ahead for a newly married couple. That’s my dot dot dot times. This could go on for quite some time while I empathize with a family in turmoil, think of the joy my wife or children (whom I have just prayed for) have brought me, or dwell on the ways I can improve my service to God. What happens is… I forget where all this started and where it might have ended.

I don’t pray the rosary, so sometimes I don’t know where the prayer left off, and the musing began. This led me to wonder if my musings have become part of my prayer, or have violently interrupted it. Should I have said amen before my musings? Should I say amen after my musings? Once I have mused, should I find a place in my prayer to go back to and resume from that point to an amen? Do I gotta say amen at all?

This is really about “amen”. What is it? What does it mean? What is it used for? When should it be used? Is it a word that magically rockets our prayers to God?

I have long ago studied the word, its origin, and uses, but just recently I did again just because I was wonderin how I felt about it now. I could tell you what I think about amen, but that would take all the mystery out of it for you wouldn’t it.

Let all things be done to the Glory of God … AMEN.

3 comments:

Jason The Bald Guy said...

Love it, love it, love it!

part of me thinks that often our musings is a part of our prayer ... how we see God's plan in action... even if it is incomplete.

for me all I need is to say.. "yea! do that GOD! that would be awesome!"

I struggle so often with the formality of prayer because it just seems so silly... I never talk to my earthly father like that.. of course it is a common trend these days to supplant respect with a casual attitude so I struggle with that also.. all in all I love my father and talk to him like I do... and I often fall asleep without telling him goodnight.

Great post... makes me feel closer to home!

Autumn said...

AMEN! No- really- I mean it!!!
I wonder about this all the time.

Kim said...

I like it!