Sunday, January 11, 2009

MY JESUS

My Jesus is… well, not what He used to be. He’s not now, nor ever really was beautiful.
Wait, wait, wait… before you condemn me to everlasting torment, let me explain. I know there are many popular songs and such that proclaim His beauty, but that seems a little too feminine to me. Powerful, magnificent, even tender and loving, but beautiful just is not in my vocabulary towards men.

Besides “…Isa 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. 3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. “

I said, He’s not what He used to be; its not really Jesus that’s different, it’s stuff that’s different. I never did really go hog wild about it but I use to wear a hat with several “Christian “ symbols on it. When I look back I’m pretty embarrassed by the whole thing. Jesus was on my hat instead of in my heart.

You see… my Jesus is the obedience, compassion, love, mercy, grace, perseverance, strength, humility, power, wisdom… that I see in his life recorded in the scriptures. These are the things I desire to permeate my life. My desire is to have him smile on me as I imitate him through the strength of His spirit.

My Jesus is no longer pins on my hat. I suppose there my be a place for the symbolisms, but I hope the SUV with the two big fish and three little fishes truly has a home devoted to God. I hope all those folks wearing WWJD bands around their wrist … have visions of the blood of martyrs for Christ flowing through their veins. I hope those T-shirt people have warm spirit filled bodies underneath those “ Abreadcrum & fish “ threads. I hope we all remember that Jesus didn’t draw crowds by His advertising, but by His life.

My Jesus is my savior, my hero, my hope, my Lord…. Or did I just invent my own SUV sticker…?

Lord… Take my life and let it be consecrated Lord to Thee…. Sigh….

2 comments:

Jessi said...

was it the *desire* to know Jesus in your heart that got you the hat with the Christian symbols on it? my dusty but barren minivan tells no one anything. Sometimes I wish I had the nerve to just cover it with foot-high print of Jesus loves you. I don't want to carry my Jesus like a stick to crack people with, but neither do I want to treat Him like my bank PIN number, either. I feel like a coward.
Sometimes.
:)

Jason The Bald Guy said...

yep... yep... yep Love this post!

I don't know if youv'e heard it but

"My Jesus" by Todd Agnew is an incredible song.. relating similar things.. one of my favorite songs..

Love ya Pops!

Jason The Bald Guy